This recipe is for my mother! It’s her birthday and she LOVES gazpacho.
Chilled Spanish-style tomato soup – perfect for hot weather. Top it with avocado, sour cream, or those Pan-Fried Crispy Chickpeas (recipe linked below) for a light lunch or dinner. I love packing leftovers for lunch!
Author: Jess Smith
Recipe type: Soup, Vegan
- 1 and ½ pounds tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, roughly chopped
- 1 half a roasted red pepper (from a jar of roasted red peppers in olive oil)
- 3 slices of bread (roughly 3 ounces), torn into pieces (baguette or sourdough are great, and bread that is a couple days old is ideal)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- pinch crushed red pepper, to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For serving (any of these are great):
- sliced avocados
- sour cream or Greek yogurt
- crumbled feta cheese
- Pan-Fried Crispy Chickpeas with Lime
- Combine the tomatoes, cucumber, red pepper, bread, garlic, olive oil, red wine vinegar, and crushed red pepper in a blender. Blend until nearly smooth. Add water if the soup seems thick. Taste and add salt and pepper, as desired.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Top with any of the recommendations above or set all of them out so that people can customize their bowl!
Serving size: about 2 cups (not including optional toppings) Calories: 195 Total Fat: 11 g Saturated fat: 2 g Carbohydrates: 21 g Sugar: 6 g Sodium: 156 mg Fiber: 3 g Protein: 4 g Cholesterol: 0 mg